12.28.2009

Snow Day

(This post was written on Sunday, December 20.)

I wish I could say that I liked snow. Really I do. I can see the appeal — it's fluffy, it's white, and, I'm all for looking at a winter wonderland. But, when you come right down to it, or, more specifically, go out into it, it's wet. It's cold. And, I don't have the wardrobe. The zipper on my snow boots broke last week, my fingers stick out of my $4 gloves, and, while I have a decent coat, I look terrible in hats — like an egg or Kojak. And, lo and behold, I created a child who is anything but chomping at the bit to go outside and join perhaps slightly fun-er families on the skating rink or sledding hill.

Needless to say, I'm not entirely thrilled with the nor'easter currently falling outside my window.


Pretty? Perhaps. But I'm glad I'm inside. I woke early yesterday and shopped, effectively buying food for 20 to feed the two of us this weekend — an excessive amount of braising and baking seemed to be called for. I may not own snow pants or solid gloves, but my stove is ready, and my refrigerator is full. Here's an account of what I like to do on a snowy day. If, like me, you're trying to lose several pounds before your sister's impending 30th birthday party in LA, you may want to set out on a different food journey. Or at least, between meals, get out to the rink or onto the hill. I would be doing that myself, of course, if I only had the clothes.

8:30 a.m. Apple Cider Doughnuts


Make these immediately if you've never had a hot, fresh doughnut.

Apple Cider Doughnuts

Adapted from Gourmet magazine, November 2007
(you'll need a 2" round doughnut cutter and a deep fat thermometer)

1 c apple cider
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1T baking powder
1 1/4 t baking soda
scant teaspoon salt
2 t cinnamon, divided
1/2 c well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 c sugar, divided
3 quarts canola oil

Boil cider in a small heavy saucepan until reduced to about 1/3 c, 12 - 15 minutes, then cool completely.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 t cinnamon.

Whisk together reduced cider, buttermilk, butter, eggs, and 1c sugar in a small bowl. Mix into flour mixture with your hands until dough forms.

Turn out onto a well-floured surface and pat with lightly floured hands into a 13-inch round (about 1/3" thick). Cut out rounds with floured cutter and transfer to a baking sheet lined with floured parchment paper. Repeat with scraps, but roll out only once. I like to save the doughnut holes and cook them as well.

Heat oil to 370 degrees in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat. Slide as many doughnuts that fit into the oil. When they float to the surface, turn over with tongs and fry, turning one more time, until golden brown, 1.5 - 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough, returning oil to 370 between batches. Cool slightly and dredge in the remaining cinnamon and sugar, mixed in a small bowl. Eat while still warm. Yum.


1:00 p.m. Leftover Chicken Pot Pie (I'll share the recipe another time — I can only expect to hold your attention for so long, and I want to get to the main event.)

7:00 p.m. Short Ribs

These definitely take an afternoon when you have
nothing better to do, but they're worth it.


Slow Braised Short Ribs

Adapted from Gourmet magazine, October 2003 (who, themselves, adapted it from Barbara Lynch, our fabulous local chef)

Serves 8

8 long meaty short ribs
kosher salt
black pepper
2T olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
1/2 c tomato paste
2 c dry red wine
1/2 c red-wine vinegar
1 quart beef stock or reconstituted beef-veal demiglace concentrate (Gourmet says specifically not to use beef broth, but I used Whole Foods beef broth in the cardboard container, and the results were very good)
2 c water
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1/4 lb Niman Farms Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4" slices

Put rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a wide 6 - 8 quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, just until smoking, then brown ribs in batches, without crowding, turning w tongs, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.

Reduce heat to moderate, then cook onion, carrots, and celery in fat remaining in pot, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned on edges, about 7 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste, wine, and vinegar, and boil over high heat, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add stock, water, thyme, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add ribs, along w any juices accumulated on plate.

Cover pot tightly, then transfer to oven and braise ribs until meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Transfer ribs to a platter and discard bones, then let meat stand, loosely covered w a sheet of parchment paper or foil. Pour cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Discard solids. Put cooking liquid into the refrigerator until fat rises to the surface (abt 15 minutes), then skim fat.

While cooking liquid chills, cook bacon (lardons) in cleaned pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes, then transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off bacon fat from pot, then add short rib cooking liquid and lardons to pot. Slowly boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to about 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Season w salt and pepper.

Trim fat and connective tissue from meat, then gently transfer meat to sauce and cook over moderate heat, uncovered until just heated through.

I served ribs over mashed potatoes, parsnips, and baby turnips.

6 comments:

toni said...

there is an antidote to snow, and it's name is short ribs. i overindulged on those tasty little bad boys last year at my sister's house and have not been able to eat them since, but i think this recipe and reminder might have tempted my taste buds.

i, too, HATE WINTER, one snow fall and then i'm done--ready for warm sunshine and the freedom of walking somewhere without my shoulders tensely pushed upward of my ears. i hate the sloosh, i hate the layers i hate the look of me in a hat--i look like the old italian lady i am--oy vey!

but a good post, sunny weather, and longer days don't make it feel so terribly bad. and least, not today!

Bob said...

Here from the deep wintry depths of Minnesota, I very much appreciate the whole lengthy braising thing, so thanks for the nice recipe. Just wanted to mention that I made a turkey pot pie with the leftovers from our turkey meal (which no one could come to because we, too, alas, were swirling in snow). The pie turned out beautifully, though, in part because of the buttery pastry, and because I seemed to get just the right combo of paprika and cayenne. So do, please share your recipe ... And Happy New Year to you both!

katherine kowal said...

That rib recipe looks AWESOME. Currently working on my raw spinach and hummus diet till the party but will be whipping this up for our "brisk" winter thereafter...

xoxoxo

Unknown said...

J- I loved your post...snow is the greatest excuse to stay in and braise ribs! In fact, I'm hoping for another storm this winter break so I can try both your recipes and to open a beautiful new bottle of port I just received...MA

Unknown said...

I used to enjoy the snow but father time changed that. Braising anything is a good occupation for snowy days. Myself, I am a soup or cookie proponent but ribs sound good.
Marge

Suzanne said...

I love the snow - but may be getting to where I prefer the inside view to the outside. Most heavenly is snow outside and yummy cooking smells inside. I am putting your ribs on my list of requests!! Nice post! (and I read it right after the new year's eve forecast for Brookline - 3 inches of snow due any minute!! Wheee!!)